[game_preservation] Suggestions for holographic material preservation?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:09:00 EDT 2014

Hi all, I have a unique situation and was wondering if anyone has some
suggestions for not just physically preserving but archiving the
information stored on holographic sheets?

As some of you know, we have one of only two fully working and complete
Atari Cosmos units in existence.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/cosmos/cosmos.html
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205220456253673

The holograms are on mylar sheets, which will of course degrade over time
(and in fact it appears one of them is starting to as the hologram is
getting difficult to see). They consist of Space Invaders, Superman,
Outlaw, Destroyer, Asteroids, Road Runner, Football, and Basketball.

Really, taking photographic documentation isn't an issue and taking steps
to preserve the mylar itself I would think would be similar to any other
form mylar preservation. My biggest concern is the holographic info on the
sheets. Is anyone aware of any efforts for accurately documenting and
preserving that? I.E. being able to pull it for archiving and reproduction
if need be?

Thanks!

--
Marty