[JakeShows] At AS220 tonight w/Steve Jobe and others, an afro-pop show next week, and at Local 121 the week after; plus, free mp3 of the week

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Mon Apr 12 10:20:15 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was very eventful and fun.

As I kind of alluded to in the last email, yesterday evening my afro-
pop band, the Double Decker Dance Band, packed up our instruments and
headed up to Harpers Ferry in Allston without being totally sure
whether or not we would be allowed to play. But in fact we were
allowed to open the show, playing a short set before the nifty afro/
funk band the Macrotones and headliners the Sierra Leone Refugee All-
Stars. The Macrotones were great and the Refugee All-Stars were
really amazing.

Today Joe, Matt, Chris, and Scott are heading down to Philadelphia to
open for the Sierra Leone Refugee All-Stars again. If you've got some
friends in Philadelphia who enjoy afro-pop, or just like to dance,
please let them know about the show! Information about it is at <http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=3085
>.

Let's see, what else? Voting for the Providence Phoenix and Motif
Magazine polls is still open: <http://community.livejournal.com/jwgh_music/4572.html
> so if you haven't voted yet you can still do so. (The Phoenix poll
lets you vote once a day.)

I've also uploaded a new free mp3 of the week (as I do every Monday)
at <http://music.jwgh.org/freemp3.html>. This week's mp3 is a blues
song I wrote about high fuel prices. I wrote it in 2006 when gas
prices were starting to go up noticeably; little did I know that a
couple of years later prices would be so high that some gas stations
would run out of the numeral '4' for their display signs (before they
fell again to their current level).

On to the upcoming shows!

Monday April 12 -- SOLO SHOW
---------------
WHERE: AS220, 115 Empire Street, Providence, RI
WHEN: 9 pm-late
COVER: $6
FACEBOOK EVENT: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=325231111737

I'll be opening the show, followed by out-of-town improvisational
multi-media classicist Jack Curtis Dubowsky, and the great Steve Jobe
and Rachel Miller will close out the show. You can hear some of
Jack's music at <http://www.youtube.com/user/DeStijlMusic>. Should be
an interesting night!

Thursday April 22 -- DOUBLE DECKER DANCE BAND SHOW
-----------------
WHERE: Machines With Magnets, 400 Main Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860
WHEN: 7 pm
FACEBOOK EVENT: <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114427385235154>

The Double Decker Dance Band shares the bill with denimvenom and Vialka.

Wednesday April 28 -- SOLO SHOW
------------------
WHERE: The Speakeasy @ Local 121, 121 Washington Street (downstairs),
Providence, RI 02903
WHEN: 8 pm
COVER: $6
FACEBOOK EVENT: <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106012402762221>

I'll be opening for the Hannah Devine Band (Matt McLaren on drums,
Alec K. Redfearn on bass) at this nifty listening room.

I like Hannah's music a lot, which is the reason I asked her to play
at my Providence CD release party last year and asked if I could play
this show with her this month. It might not be politic to say it, but
of all the solo shows I've had going on the last few months, this is
the one I've been looking forward to the most.

Hannah won Rhode Island Idol in 2008 and is one of my competitors for
Best Acoustic Singer/Songwriter in the Phoenix awards, so if you
haven't heard her before this is a good opportunity to check us both
out and decide which of us should win. ;-)

That's it for April. Have a good week!

So long,
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacob-Haller/43616244152
http://www.myspace.com/jwgh