[JakeShows] Dance madness this week, solo shows at the Liberty Elm, the Mill, White Electric, and in NYC thereafter

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Thu May 6 00:29:42 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Voting in the Providence Phoenix poll closes on Friday, and voting in
the Motif Magazine poll closes Saturday, so things are down to the
wire! I'll find out about the Motif results on May 16; not sure when
the Phoenix results are announced. In the meantime, if you haven't
voted yet, information about the polls can be found at <http://community.livejournal.com/jwgh_music/4572.html
> (where you can also listen to my CD).

In the meantime, there are some dance shows this week, a couple of
nifty solo shows the weeks after that, and a little musical trip back
to New York City looms on the horizon. Here's what I've got:

Thursday April 1 -- DOUBLE DECKER DANCE BAND PREVIEW
----------------
WHERE: Nick-a-Nees, 75 South Street, Providence, RI
WHEN: 9 pm to midnight

The usual members of the Killdevils will be joined by special guests
from the Double Decker Dance band. We'll be gathering for a free
preview of some of the music you can expect to hear at:

Saturday May 8 -- DOUBLE DECKER DANCE BAND SHOW
--------------
WHERE: The American-Lithuanian Beneficial Club, 475 Smith Street,
Providence, RI
WHEN: Doors open 7 pm
COVER: $10 for one, $15 per couple

Come and dance with the Double Decker Dance band! We play Afro-pop,
Reggae, Soukous, Calypso, and other dance music. You can hear a free
preview at <http://www.facebook.com/doubledeckerband> (the music
player is in the area on the left; you may have to scroll down a
little to see it).

The lineup is:

Joseph Paye - guitar, keys, lead vocals
Matt McLaren - drums
Chris Monti - guitar, backing vocals
Scott Reber - bass
Jacob Haller - keys, backing vocals
Elvys Oritz - percussion

Saturday May 9 -- BREAKFAST SHOW (SOLO)
--------------
WHERE: The Liberty Elm, 777 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI
WHEN: 11 am to 1 pm

Come and have an excellent breakfast at the Liberty Elm (featured not
long ago on the Food Network's 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives' TV show)
and listen to me sing a bunch of original and folk songs.

Saturday May 15 -- SOLO SHOW
---------------
WHERE: The Mill, 711 Putnam Pike, Greenville, RI 02828
WHEN: 8 pm
COVER: $8

I am really excited about this show! Why am I excited about it? Let
me count the ways:

- A couple of my favorite local performers, Kim Lamothe and Hannah
Devine, will be sharing the bill with me. Kim will be joined by her
excellent drummer, Eric Hastings.

- My friend (and gifted guitarist) Natalie Markward of Anne's Cordial
has agreed to accompany me on some of my songs!

- The whole thing will be recorded by the Mill's high-quality
recording setup, so if all goes well this could be a sneak preview for
an EP sometime in the near future!

All of that aside (but why would you set it aside?) the Mill is a
great venue for live music, and the audience gets to sit on
comfortable couches and chairs, so with as much fun I'm planning to
have I'm sure the folks listening to the show will have a great time
too.

Friday May 21 -- SOLO SHOW
-------------
WHERE: White Electric, 711 Westminster Street, Providence, RI
WHEN: 8-10 pm
COVER: No cover, but I will 'pass the hat' at some point

This show is kind of an early birthday present to myself (my birthday
being May 27 -- I'm turning 38). I wanted to put together a nice,
intimate, acoustic show with some musicians I love but don't get to
share the stage with as much as I'd like.

Happily, White Electric, a great coffee house on Westminster which
occasionally stays open late for special musical shows, agreed to host
the event, and Allysen Callery and Kate Katzberg both agreed to join
me for the evening's music. I don't think Kate and Allysen have ever
done a show together before, but I think the blend will work very
nicely.

Saturday May 22 -- SOLO SHOW IN NYC
--------------------
WHERE: The Alphabet Lounge, 104 Ave. C, New York, NY 10009 (in the
East Village)
WHEN: 7-7:45 pm
COVER: $10

It's my second NYC show! The Alphabet Lounge has kindly agreed to
book me again. If you've got any New York City-area friends who you
think would enjoy seeing me perform, please pass the information
along; they can currently hear all of my CD at <http://music.jwgh.org/>.

It's possible one or two other things will pop up, but right now
that's what's going on in May. As always, you can see everything I've
got booked at <http://music.jwgh.org/gigs.html>.

Many thanks,
http://www.facebook.com/jwgh.music
http://www.myspace.com/jwgh