[JakeShows] May shows: Providence, Willimantic, brunch, plant sale, and more

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Mon Apr 22 16:16:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

The last week or so have been tough, haven't they? I hope you all are doing well.

If, like me, you're a Red Sox fan, you may find this video of Neil Diamond singing 'Sweet Caroline' at Fenway on Saturday touching and tear-inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF__vAm_qRM

May is my birthday month (I'm turning 41 this year), and I've got a bunch of nice shows lined up for it. Here's what I've got planned:

Thursday May 2 - J. HALLER & the SILENT TREATMENT - OPEN MIKE FEATURED ACT
--------------
WHERE: Mediator Stage, 50 Rounds Street, Providence, RI
WHEN: 7:30 pm
COVER: $5 suggested

Matt Everett, Joe Auger, and I will be performing together for the first time in quite a while! We'll be the featured act at the Mediator Stage open mike (hosted by Don Tassone). It's a convivial atmosphere and has always provided a welcoming atmosphere for my various musical projects. Hope you can make it!

Sunday May 12 - SOLO SHOW - BRUNCH
-------------
WHERE: The Locals, 11 Waterman Avenue, North Providence, RI 02911
WHEN: 10 am-1 pm

Marilynn Manfra and I will play for tips as people eat brunch at the Locals, a nice little restaurant featuring food from local sources. These are fun shows, and if you haven't heard Marilynn before, you should come and check her out! An added benefit for me is that after we're done performing I will get to eat some delicious french toast, which makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Wednesday May 15 -- SOLO SHOW -- WILLIMANTIC, CT SHOW
----------------
WHERE: The Bread Box, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 220 Valley Street, Willimantic, CT
WHEN: 7-9 pm
COVER: $5

The Bread Box is a group of individuals committed to fighting hunger in our local community by providing a folk music venue that is solely dedicated to collecting food and revenue for The Covenant Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry. This night will be a songwriter showcase, with me and a few other songwriters doing short sets. It sounds like a great venue -- a hundred seats, stained glass windows, and a good audience -- and I'm really looking forward to playing in Willimantic.

If you know any friends in or near central Connecticut who you think might be interested in checking this out, please spread the word!

Saturday May 18 -- SOLO SHOW -- CITY FARM PLANT SALE
-------------
WHERE: The City Farm at the corner of Dudley Street & West Clifford Street in Providence, RI
WHEN: 11 am-noon

I'll be playing for an hour at this fundraiser for the Southside Community Land Trust. The annual plant sale has become kind of an institution, with people coming from all over to pick up rare and unusual plants for their gardens. The plant sale goes from 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th -- more information can be found here: http://www.southsideclt.org/plantsale

Wednesday May 22 -- SOLO SHOW
WHERE: AS220, 115 Empire Street, Providence, RI 02907
WHEN: 9:30 pm
COVER: $6

This is one of my favorite kinds of shows, where I get the opportunity to ask musicians I admire to share a show with me. In this case, my favorite Worcester band, the Smile Makers, are coming down for the night; Stevie Lightnin', a Block Island expat who plays raucous music with a wicked sense of humor, will be there; and Daniel Chase, a songwriter I've admired for years but who I don't think I've previously shared a stage with, will be performing too.

It's a show I would make every effort to go to if I weren't on the bill already. I hope you can make it; I don't think you'll be disappointed if you come.

And that's it for May! If you want to see what else I've got planned, go to http://music.jwgh.org/gigs.html and you'll see everything I have currently booked.

So long,