[LEAPSECS] one signature brings UTC to US

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Aug 10 05:14:45 EDT 2007

Magnus Danielson said:

>> However, there isn't a problem: Sweden switches from UTC+1 to UTC+2 at

>> 01:00:00 GMT (which is somewhere between 01:59:59 and 02:01:01 local time).

> You are even missing the point. It was also prepared by the Swedish Govrement,

> and I think they had their law-text written up as they wished it to be.

> It *IS* UTC and switches on UTC time.

> Don't complain on the Swedish realization and laws, complain on the incompetent

> translators of EU instead. You are barking up the wrong tree here!

No, I'm afraid you are.

The Directive clearly states that the transition happens *throughout the
EU* [1] at 01:00 GMT. The Swedes can't pick a different time to make the
change, no matter what their local time is [2], any more than they could
pick a different date or do it at 03:00 GMT. This is not a translation
error.

If the Swedish transposition of the law is wrong, then it's wrong. It
wouldn't be the first time a national government has failed to transpose a
Directive correctly (I've got a 6-year-and-counting argument with the UK
Government over a far more serious mis-transposition).

[1] Except overseas territories.

[2] It's curious that there's no Directive covering the definition of time.
Perhaps I should talk to one of my Commission contacts.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Work: <clive at demon.net> | Tel: +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert | Home: <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 870 051 9937