[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Fri Jun 15 07:31:00 EDT 2007

> There is no practical difference now, but the passage would relinquish

> almost any notion of sovereignty of the US over the characteristics of

> its legal time scale.

I certainly don't agree with this. The bills in question certainly refer
to UTC "as interpreted by" the secretary of commerce, and the secretary
of defense. If BIPM were do to something that those two considered
"unwise", a new law could be passed yanking os *off* the international
system. Of course I'll continue with my opinion that not going along
with the changes because someone in the fututre might do something dumb
is paranoia.