[LEAPSECS] TI incunabula

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Apr 8 12:02:24 EDT 2008

In message: <40270.1207669628 at critter.freebsd.dk>
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:

: In message <CAE273B8-7505-478F-9F71-934698C52569 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

:

: >Oh yeah! I also heartily support Steve's implicit message here.

: >Rather than trashing one timescale, let's just simply complete the

: >proper system engineering started in the Nineteenth century and call

: >any such new timescale "International Time".

:

: It has always seemed very pretentious to me, that a timescale bound

: tightly to a particular rotating rock was called "Universal".

<homer simpson>
Hmmm, tightly rotating rocks....
</homer simpson>

: I can live with International Time as a name, but would far prefer

: to have it be Terrestial Time, so it names the rock in question.

Or better yet, Earth Terrestial Time or Earth Normal Time or
Commercial Time, since TT already is an abbreviation for some other
timescale...

Warner