[LEAPSECS] Merry Christmas!

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Dec 21 18:56:13 EST 2008

So now we're into legal analogies? Civil time would be in civil
court. The standard of judgement would be something like "a
preponderance of the evidence". My whole point is that there has been
insufficient data entered into evidence to render any judgement sound.

Probable cause applies to situations in which the evidence is hidden
within some private residence. If there are secret data regarding
civil timekeeping, then one would suggest they be made public so they
can influence public decision-making.

And if we're to abandon a search for consensus regarding the future
evolution of this standard, then common sense says the result should
be a standard that doesn't change. Mean solar time has formed the
basis of civil timekeeping since the 19th century (and before, since
apparent solar time is a periodic offset from mean solar time). I'm
simply suggesting "due process" be followed before making a change of
this magnitude.

Due process is the swiftest process.

Rob