[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Dec 31 09:26:33 EST 2008

In message <495B7606.9040609 at cox.net>, Greg Hennessy writes:

>> I don't know what you do for a living, but unless you are a programmer

>> yourself, you are likely to work at a level of complexity about

>> 1000 times lower than programmers like Warner and me.

>I'm an astronomer working for USNO. The last third of

>your sentence comes across as "I'm smarter than you are, you should

>accept what I say", which is not a philosophy I agree with. I

>concede you may not have intended it in that fashion.

I didn't say I was smarter, I said that I know more than you about
how computers and operating systems keep track of time, and how
people (ab)use those programming interfaces.

>That I favor different

>solutions than you do does not mean I'm not seeing the problem.

If you cannot see why the GMT/UTC confusion is a problem, then
you do not properly appreciate why any proposal that adds a new
timescale is a non-starter.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe