[LEAPSECS] Trying a different angle

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:40:05 EST 2008

> civil danish time was fixes as "the mean solar time at 15 east long."

Well, I prefer layering civil time directly on mean solar time, since
anybody can recover it directly from the sky -- but as I just
demonstrated, I'm willing to entertain other possibilities like the
two separate ones in the two preceding messages.

The problem with the wording above is that it should be two separate
assertions, something like "civil time is layered on mean solar time"
and "the Danish realization of civil time should reference the
meridian 15 east". The interpretation of your civil servant that NTP
is disallowed sounds bogus to me since the transport mechanism for
realizing the law(s) is (wisely) left as a matter of interpretation.