[LEAPSECS] Seems relevant somehow

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Mar 31 01:46:38 EDT 2008

In message <20080331053541.GA1522 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>On Sun 2008-03-30T22:27:36 -0700, Steve Allen hath writ:

>> I would love to know the meaning of "recently".

>> Was it 6 months of notice, or less than Daniel Gambis gives?

>Hmmm, at least for NSW it was less than 6 months.

>Legislation passed 2007-10-23

>http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/cru/ll_cru.nsf/pages/cru_daylightsaving

>Someone please tell me again why the zoneinfo files would need 10

>years of advance notice if they were to absorb responsibility for leap

>seconds.

Because stupid handling of timezones is something politicians you
vote for do, and consequently there is a feedback loop that can
discourage such behaviour.

Leapseconds are mandated by a bunch of scientists who are not accountable
for anybody if they suddenly decide to issue leapseconds with 1 month
notice.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe