[LEAPSECS] Seems relevant somehow

John Hein jhein at timing.com
Mon Mar 31 02:54:57 EDT 2008

Steve Allen wrote at 22:35 -0700 on Mar 30, 2008:
> Someone please tell me again why the zoneinfo files would need 10
> years of advance notice if they were to absorb responsibility for leap
> seconds.

There are a wide variety of applications that don't care about local
time. If some politicians decide to change DST rules, these
applications couldn't care less.

For those applications that do care about local time, there are other
forums for discussing this class of problem. It's certainly a real
issue for some, but is separable from the issues associated with leap
seconds.