[LEAPSECS] Happy New Year....

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Jan 1 00:08:19 EST 2009

It just reached midnight here in the U.S. Eastern time zone... the
time counting toward midnight on ABC's New Years Rockin' Eve didn't
show a leap second (I think somebody earlier on this list claimed
those shows went "58-59-LEAP-00", but this one didn't), and of course
was correct here since the leap second was hours ago. I'm not sure
what time source Times Square and ABC sync to; it was a few seconds
off from my computer and my watch, both of which supposedly keep
synced regularly through UTC time signals.

Anyway, we're past the leap second without planes falling from the
sky or, as far as I know after seeing the 11:00 newscast, people
dropping dead from horrible leap-second-related accidents, so I think
the hyperbole of people on this list who say "Leap seconds will KILL!
Think of the CHILDREN!" are as overblown as the Y2K fearmongers
were. Meanwhile, the good old leap YEAR had a victim in the
Micro$oft Zume players, so are we going to see calls to abolish leap
days because programmers get them wrong, so all years should just be
365 days long and it doesn't matter if the dates of the year rotate
through the seasons... the Muslims deal with it in THEIR calendar,
after all.

--
== Dan ==