[LEAPSECS] Happy New Year....

blb8 at po.cwru.edu blb8 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jan 1 16:52:48 EST 2009

> From: Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name>

> ... Meanwhile, the good old leap YEAR had a victim in the

> Micro$oft Zume players, so are we going to see calls to abolish leap

> days because programmers get them wrong, so all years should just be

> 365 days long and it doesn't matter if the dates of the year rotate

> through the seasons

If the resolution is:

1. Abolish leap seconds.

2. Abolish leap days.

3. Abolish daylight saving time.

4. Abolish all time zones and adopt a new, single, world-wide timezone (TPT) that syncs with current UTC+0 at some point.

5. TPT counts atomic seconds from that point.

6. The IERS does the job that their name suggests and publishes tables of corrects for UT*-TPT so those that want to know can figure out where the sun is.

Then I'll vote for it. I will permit amendments about the Gregorian calendar and a suitable replacement, but anything else would be a non-starter.

Brian Blackmore
blb8 at po.cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~blb8
PGP keys not at http://cheese.cwru.edu/PGP/PGP.html