[LEAPSECS] DCF77, HBG, MSF, two out of three

Brian Garrett mgy1912 at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 14:50:34 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <blb8 at po.cwru.edu>
To: "Leap Second Discussion List" <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] DCF77, HBG, MSF, two out of three

>> From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>

>> DCF77 got right, as always.

>> HBG also got it right this time.

>> MSF still fumbles the DUT1 bits.

>> http://phk.freebsd.dk/Leap/20081231/

> Very nice. Alas, my receiver isn't close enough to the computer and I

> didn't think to record the signal.

> WWV got it right, as far as I could tell. I'm not sure if the DUT1 bits

> were correct in the first minute or not.

Sprint's cellular network has still NOT got it right,after four days. My
cell phone, whose time display used to change right on the tick of the UTC
second, is now one second slow. Sprint is a CDMA network, which as far as I
know runs on GPS time, so it would appear that some code indicating the
number of seconds difference between UTC and GPS ws not updated.

GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T are just fine with wall-clock time so
they can happily be off by two minutes and no one but us anal-retentives
will know or care :) Verizon is CDMA so they should have updated, unless
they goofed like Sprint.

Brian Garrett