[LEAPSECS] DCF77, HBG, MSF, two out of three

Jonathan E. Hardis jhardis at tcs.wap.org
Sun Jan 4 22:40:22 EST 2009

>Sprint's cellular network has still NOT got it right,after four

>days. My cell phone, whose time display used to change right on the

>tick of the UTC second, is now one second slow. Sprint is a CDMA

>network, which as far as I know runs on GPS time, so it would appear

>that some code indicating the number of seconds difference between

>UTC and GPS ws not updated.

>... Verizon is CDMA so they should have updated, unless they goofed

>like Sprint.

My experience with one of the CDMA carriers is that when Daylight
Savings Time begins or ends, the handset display is not updated until
you make a call.

Yes, the cell sites of CDMA carriers sync to GPS so that they are in
sync with each other at the microsecond level. However, what you're
seeing could also be a user-equipment issue.

- Jonathan