[LEAPSECS] Skepticism

Jonathan E. Hardis jhardis at tcs.wap.org
Thu Dec 30 21:14:15 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Greg Hennessy wrote:

>> To repeat myself, the punch line is this: NO ONE is advocating a

>> perpetual drift apart between atomic time and "universal" time

>> (sundial time).

> What do you base this on, since I think the ITU proposal is exactly

> that?

The proposal is to end the system of leap seconds as established in
1972.

The proposal does nothing to tie the hands of any authority (e.g.,
ITU, CGPM) for future changes that would synchronize atomic and solar
time.

My perspective comes from several private discussions with key figures
involved with the ITU study.

- Jonathan