[LEAPSECS] International Society for the Study of Time ?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Mar 29 17:22:25 EDT 2010

Hi Doug,

Timekeeping is complex and is used for diverse purposes. I support
the implication in the link you provide that the underlying
engineering use cases for that part of the problem known as "civil
timekeeping" are driven by a web of concerns cutting across many
levels of human endeavors. Mean solar time - currently realized by
UTC - maps best onto many of these.

The past decade on this list has been an exploration of the meaning of
the word "best" in the previous sentence. Most of us here seem to be
scientists and engineers. One can certainly identify requirements for
non-segmented timescales. I interpret this - as others have done so
for several decades - as the need for more than one timescale. And
indeed in the scientific world are requirements for many more than two
timescales.

I'm not exactly sure I know what to make of "The International Society
for the Study of Time". That said, the existence of something with
that name itself implies that time is not a one-size-fits-all
phenomenon.

Rob