[LEAPSECS] An example

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Nov 2 14:43:33 EDT 2010

On Tue 2010-11-02T18:37:11 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> I am pretty sure that if you told a random sample of people that

> "some scientists belive that some days should be one second long

> or shorter than usual", they would compare that to the Pi=3 idea,

> not the other way around.

The trick here is to make the distinction between "day" and "86400
seconds of TAI". The existing international agreement for the meaning
of "day" is "mean solar day". The question being addressed by the
ITU-R boils down to whether or not they will manage to redefine the
word "day".

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855