[LEAPSECS] An example

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Fri Nov 5 06:34:45 EDT 2010

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

>So should they adjust all of them retroactively, editing all of

>history to make the times of events (e.g., the times the planes hit

>the buildings on Sept. 11, 2001) accurate in accordance with the new

>standard they determine around the year 4000 ought to have been

>adopted millennia earlier?

We already do that, though not entirely consistently. For times when
the Julian calendar was dominant (and which times those are depends
on location), we vary in whether we now report the dates in Julian
or Gregorian form. (Example: Wikipedia reports the Russion "October
Revolution" as starting on 1917-11-07, which was the Gregorian date.
The name comes from its Julian date, 1917-10-25.) Of course, since
dates of the two calendars are generally indistinguishable, it's often
not clear which version of the date is being reported. But historians
are getting better at explicitly labelling the dates.

-zefram