[LEAPSECS] h2g2

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 3 04:18:37 EDT 2010

On 3 Sep 2010, at 04:47, "Daniel R. Tobias" <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> So you'd like to end up with an even more chaotically convoluted time

> zone map than we already have? Eventually, there'd have to be

> offsets from UTC of 36 or 48 hours, way beyond the theoretical +12

> and -12 (already exceeded by a few hours in some spots) of a saner

> time zone map.

Before 1845 the Philippines were east of the International Date Line so their timezone (though it wasn't called that then) was something like -16h. This oddity was an artefact of the 1494 Treaty of Torsedillas in which it was agreed that Spain got to colonize the western hemisphere and Portugal the eastern.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/