[LEAPSECS] Caveat emptor!

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Apr 11 13:32:45 EDT 2011

Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:

> Tony Finch wrote:

> > GMT hasn't been maintained for decades.

> Which seems a pretty good argument for UTC to remain defined as and be

> maintained as a type of Universal Time. That is, for the general

> concept of UT not to be allowed to become ambiguous.

I don't see how. GMT was just a realization of UT2 (ish). The USNO no
longer broadcasts its realization of UT2 either. What this has to do with
the definitions of technical terms I have no idea.

> How does one refer to TCFKAUT ("The Concept Formerly Known As Universal

> Time") after "UTC" is redefined and "GMT" has fallen into disuse?

"Universal Time", duh.

> Remember, UT1 is only known retroactively.

The IERS publishes predictions for UT1 so you can sync a clock to a quite
accurate version of it if you want. No need to rely on nonexistent
broadcasts from a defunct observatory.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
German Bight, Humber, Thames: West or southwest 3 or 4, veering northwest 5 or