[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 57, Issue 9- Wikipedia UTC Citation

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Aug 15 12:57:01 EDT 2011

On Mon 2011-08-15T12:11:50 -0400, Finkleman, Dave hath writ:

> Wikipedia entries can be changed by anyone. I recommend that someone

> correct the recent modification that clouds the origin of the term UTC.

The wikipedia description of the origin of UTC is within the rules
becuase it cites the NIST web page which says the same. The
underlying problems are the recent and not so recent -- but available
and citeable -- references written from the standpoint of old guys
remembering what happened. Those writeups differ from the original
CCIR documents and minutes of the proceedings (and those are very
difficult to obtain). The originals give a clearer picture of who was
trying to do what and their contemporary understanding of the issues.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855