[LEAPSECS] the abbreviation UTC

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Thu Aug 18 04:30:51 EDT 2011

Le 18/08/2011 02:06, Steve Allen a écrit :

> On 2011 Aug 15, at 10:54, Tony Finch wrote:

>>> http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/timescales.html#UTC

The BBC World Service still announce the time as GMT and so I wondered
if UTC had ever been incorporated in English law. I discovered that an
attempt to change the legal definition of time from GMT to UTC, by an
amendment to the Interpretation Act 1978, was made in the House of
Lords in 1997.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199798/ldhansrd/vo970611/text/70611-10.htm

Though passed by the Lords, this bill never made it to the statute
books, UTC does not therefore have legal status in the UK though it is
the time scale in use by the Beeb in their broadcasts and of course
elsewhere.

Could this be a good argument for getting parking ticket offences thrown
out? Or any legal case where time is a factor? If the traffic wardens
or police set their watches by the BBC, MSF or any other UTC based
provider, then they are using a time scale that is not recognised in law.

As I live in France, that doesn't affect me directly, but I will check
with the French statutes to see what their definition of time is. Could
save me a Euro or two.

Many thanks to Steve for collating and making available this fascinating
and instructive material on his site.

Regards