[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sat Feb 19 10:24:37 EST 2011

At 12:56 AM +0200 2/19/11, Paul Sheer wrote:

>On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 11:39 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

>> That's part of the compromise that I've put forward. Goal: publish them

> > out 10-20 years. [...]

[snip]

>There is still the Posix malady. There has to be a way for Posix to

>properly handle leap seconds in a way that is either compatible with

>what applications do now, or for which there is a migration path to

>correct behavior.

I have not been following the proposal in detail, but a key issue to
the POSIX community is that their timescale must be implementable in
a totally isolated machine, one having no GPS or internet access.

There are other requirements as well. This was discussed at length
on the Time Nuts reflector, until Tom kicked the thread over to Leap
Secs.

Joe Gwinn