[LEAPSECS] Focus in the debate, alternative proposal

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Fri Jan 7 11:16:42 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 13:08 +0000, Zefram wrote:

> being a second out of synch would cause reconciliation problems.

can you explain this closer to the tech please?

i know i got the same explanation from one of our support
people until I challenged him...

we then went into the code and analysed what would happen
on one of our live systems and discovered that the only
two problems we would ever have was the *appearance* of
wrong timestamps to someone eye-balling the logs, and
a window of bad performance stats in cases where people
were doing cross-system performance profiling.

But that otherwise, no-one would notice.

For this reason, I am hesitant to believe the argument:
"millisecond time stamps are used and *therefore* leap
seconds cause havoc."

-paul