[LEAPSECS] Meeting with Wayne Whyte

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:04:38 EST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> However, given the tolerance of DUT1 is .9 and not .5, I'm sure that an extra last leap second could be tossed in to give vendors more time to cope...

Since this whole discussion has been about "predictability", it would be prudent (whatever side of the issue one is on) to include such an "extra last leap second" in the language of the draft. Something like:

"This change will occur no sooner than N years after adoption of this resolution. After N years have elapsed, current procedures will be followed to schedule one final leap second in the timescale broadcast via ITU compliant facilities."

Note that this would apply to implementing the Torino TI timescale as well.

Rob