[LEAPSECS] Meeting with Wayne Whyte

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 31 19:10:45 EST 2011

On 01/31/2011 15:55, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> By comparison, leap seconds add a new time representation 23:59:60

> which exists in no other way. Its the creation of the new time that is

> problematic.

Earlier threads have called this the 'non-uniform-radix' problem. It
has been argued that there are no discontinuities in UTC, with the 59:60
notation offered as proof. However, this moves UTC from a uniform radix
that everybody is used to dealing with with to one with a
non-uniform-radix. This table-driven non-uniformity might or might not
technically be a discontinuity, but certainly is a pain in the back side.

It is also a central problem of time_t: how do you map this
non-uniform-radix notation onto a uniform count that must always satisfy
properties that explicitly mandate a uniform-radix.

The timezone code in Unix does deal with this by increasing the UTC-TAI
offset so you could, in theory, tell the same way to tell with DST
transitions. I tend to agree with you thought that it might be pounding
screws with a hammer....

Warner