[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Tue Sep 20 13:25:28 EDT 2011

I enter this discussion as a marginally qualified newcomer with a big
stake in the outcome.

I understand the technical debate, but I believe that the practical
impact is the major issue. Some systems accommodate leap seconds; some
forget about it, many fudge it. Those most affected have been
disenfranchised in ITU deliberations. We need a sound assessment and,
as Rob says, a systematic approach.

In addition, we have at least attributable, expert terminological
opinion that if the definition of UTC is changed in this manner, the
name must be changed.

Dave Finkleman
Senior Scientist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
7150 Campus Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Phone: 719-510-8282 or 719-321-4780
Fax: 719-573-9079

Discover CSSI data downloads, technical webinars, publications, and
outreach events at www.CenterForSpace.com.