[LEAPSECS] "China move could call time on GMT"

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 4 15:38:29 EST 2012

Perhaps Philip Nolan could have told us: http://www.bartleby.com/310/6/1.html :-)

> I choose to define the legal/civil time for my one-man micronation to

> be tied to some NATURAL phenomenon, something that is NOT subject to

> man's whim. Hence man-made UTC is not acceptable. Mean solar time is

> a natural phenomenon, so it's acceptable.

The subject line of this thread and the general remit of the conversation on leapsecs concerns wide scale standardization and infrastructure issues. I don't believe any option discussed here - whatever our positions on the issues - will constrain such a situation. That is, for civil timekeeping to exist a civilization (e.g., China) is required.

Rob