[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 18 23:14:34 EST 2012

Tom Van Baak wrote:

> I would like at some point, regardless of how the ITU vote turns out for this list to collectively work toward external education rather than internal bickering or google baiting.

My reply from last Friday still seems appropriate (appended). We're also pretty proud of:

http://www.univelt.com/book=3042

with preprints and presentations online at http://futureofutc.org - a truly excellent meeting and a foundation for whatever comes next. The round table discussions were particularly a highlight of this meeting and excellent transcriptions (thanks to John Seago) are available on the preprints page and following each paper in the proceedings volume.

The discussions on leapsecs, though understandably perhaps a bit more exasperating for everybody recently, are almost always on topic and the mailing list is remarkably free from noise compared to other mailing lists I've read or participated in. That consensus has yet to be reached internal to the list is mostly a function of the external politics. We have made progress on several fronts such as the desirability for extending the scheduling horizon for leap seconds. The ITU process has not even attempted to reach consensus.

> For every one of us there are a thousand engineers out there who are clueless about the subtleties of timescales. We could all work together on a best practices document.

I guess the notion is a cookbook for various programming environments or in support of NTP networks, GPS clocks, atomic dohickeys, etc? Surely you aren't worrying about the various astronomical community documents that would have to be developed :-)

While such a document or documents could be useful (independently of redefining UTC), it is not going to be a small effort, rapidly concluded. There would be a large amount of precisely that consensus-building work before such documents/volumes could be written, and it would have to be a collaboration in some fashion with those engineers and other stakeholders.

We could make a start by suggesting a bookshelf of references. In addition to the futureofutc.org proceedings (IMHO), essentials are:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-3527407804.html
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439814635

Other suggestions?

> In particular, it seems to me many of your telescope concerns would be non-issues if you could use your influence to push the use of UT1/DUT1 in those systems related to pointing.

Pointing is only one of many issues:

http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/preprints/36_AAS_11-677_Seaman.pdf

I already addressed the over-simplification of the UT1/DUT1 issue below.

Rob
--

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu>

> Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] The Economist

> Date: January 13, 2012 10:13:49 AM MST

> To: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

> Hi Tom,

>>> Just none of them have ever been on the table in ITU-R WP7A.)

>>> Rob