[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Michael Deckers michael.deckers at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 16:39:09 EST 2012

On 2012-01-18 23:33, Tom Van Baak proposed:

> I would like at some point, regardless of how the ITU vote turns

> out for this list to collectively work toward external education

> rather than internal bickering or google baiting. For every one

> of us there are a thousand engineers out there who are clueless

> about the subtleties of timescales. We could all work together

> on a best practices document.

> In particular, it seems to me many of your telescope concerns

> would be non-issues if you could use your influence to push the

> use of UT1/DUT1 in those systems related to pointing.

Good idea. This is actually a policy of the BIPM: every new
definition is to be supported by a "mise en pratique" (guide
for the practical use). I suggest we need such guidance not
only in time before UTC is redefined, but also for the use
of the current definition of UTC in electronic information
networks and in programming interfaces. Having both guides
could make the decision in 2015 even more rational.

Michael Deckers.