[LEAPSECS] The ends we seek

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jan 19 23:54:52 EST 2012

> Even now the many people who refer to UTC as a "discontinuous"

> time scale, many of whom should be expected to know better, seem

> not to be aware of it.

> Mark Calabretta

Mark,

Welcome back to the list. It's been a while.

Here's a chance for some creative input. If as you say UTC
is not "discontinuous" what English word would you recommend
be used to describe it? Hopefully some word that uniquely
distinguishes it from the likes of UT1 and TAI?

> In the past I have suggested that a wiki be created to distill

> the information content and opinions expressed on this list.

We've given this some thought. One problem is that many of
the contributors of the list have taken a side and have been
re-defining words to enhance their bargaining positions. This
makes a writing a wiki difficult.

/tvb