[LEAPSECS] Leap second on analog watch

Nero Imhard nimh at pipe.nl
Wed Jan 25 04:36:16 EST 2012

Tom Van Baak wrote:

> How about making the second hand variable length. Have it

> grow like Pinocchio's nose during a positive leap second.

Although I really like the nose, the jumps are ugly. What about an
adaptive dial made of rubber sheet with a slit at the 12 o'clock position.
There, the two edges overlap slightly. At the start of the last minute
before a leap second, the left edge can be adjusted to reveal second
number 61 (or hide second 60). Because the dial is made of rubber, all
marks shift to maintain equal distances. The second hand rotates slower
(faster) during that last minute. Immediately after the leap, the dial
goes back to normal.