[LEAPSECS] Leap second on analog watch

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 25 11:15:20 EST 2012

Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:

> Exactly. The search space is a lot larger than explored so far.

> Consider a leap second modification to the Chronophage for instance:

> http://www.wired.com/culture/design/magazine/17-02/st_chronophage

> The one-second dial could simply go around twice.

The second disk of the Chronophage ticks like a normal second hand, i.e.
six degrees each second. The whizzy full-circle effect comes from the
vernier offset slots - http://dotat.at/random/clock.html

The clock is capable of ticking in both directions, and ticks back and
forth when it "chimes" the hour, or rather rattles a chain in a miniature
coffin. It is also regulated by a computer, which deliberately causes it
to tick erratically in order to tease its audience, and which also keeps
the clock synced to MSF. So it already has the mechanisms to cope with a
leap second. Maybe I should try to watch it on the night, to see if it
handles the event correctly :-)

There is more about the clock at http://fanf.livejournal.com/98545.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Bailey: Northwest 4 or 5, becoming cyclonic 6 to gale 8 later. Rough or very