[LEAPSECS] Hetzner mail to customers: 1 megawatt more power due to leap second

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 18:08:40 EDT 2012

Michael Spacefalcon gave an overview of how a high precision system (which
he incorrectly supposed I possessed or ran) could interface to a low
precision system. But if a rubber time scale ever became law, high precision
systems might have to interface with each other indirectly through the
rubber time scale because of legal requirements. This would cause the
interface systems to operate a little differently near leap seconds than
they usually do, so there would be a potential for flaws to crop up. History
suggests these interfaces will not be tested frequently enough.

Also note that this time it is medium-precision systems that failed; the
coarse systems like Windows desktop systems that invoke their NTP client
once a week did fine, and did fine when interfacing with medium-precision
systems if the medium-precision systems were operating at all.

Gerard Ashton