[LEAPSECS] Telescope pointing

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Jun 8 09:57:31 EDT 2012

On 2012 Jun 8, at 04:32, Gerard Ashton wrote:

> The list often discusses the fact that astronomers need UT1. Does anyone

> know astronomer's requirement for pointing accuracy. Does anyone know of a

> document that discusses how astronomers receive ΔUT1 and incorporate it in

> telescope pointing systems. (For telescope, read any astronomical instrument

> that needs precise pointing.)

Please see my first paper in the proceedings of last October's meeting
in Pennsylvania, Decoupling Civil Timekeeping from Earth Rotation
http://futureofutc.org/
the website has pointers to the hardback, CDROM, and preprints.

The bottom line is that the effect on telescope pointings is
divided based on the role of human operators in their systems.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855