[LEAPSECS] happy anniversary pips

Richard Clark rclark at noao.edu
Wed Feb 12 18:53:06 EST 2014

Back in the 1974 oil crisis the US made an 'emergency' change to its
DST schedual. I don't recall the legal mechanism used. It was likely
an executive order from the President.

But it most definitely was with less than 6 months notice so the legal
precedent is exists in the US.

I also have noticed that 'critical security patches', to which linux is
less prone than some operating systems, often require action in less than 6
months from the time issued.

Richard Clark
rclark at noao.edu