[LEAPSECS] Daylight Time snafus

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Feb 24 20:30:13 EST 2014

On 2014-02-24 03:25 PM, Matsakis, Demetrios wrote:

> Sometimes it doesn't matter how much notice is given. This morning I got an email from someone asking why his clock just jumped to daylight time. I've had many emails from people whose clocks incorporate a change late, which could be due to radio reception problems among other things. I've also gotten some from people whose clocks are pre-programmed with the old American daylight time rules, or European ones. But this is a first for early daylight.

> As always programming errors are the default guess. Last leap year we even suspected one product had an issue related to February 29. Only the manufacturers know for sure.

I'm afraid, and I'd bet, the manufacturers don't know for sure either.

In an environment where the underlying timekeeping standards are complex
and fractured, and where the underlying computer standards, mostly ISO c
and POSIX, have known inadequacies, its little wonder there are
interoperability problems if attempting to represent accurate civil time
(whatever that might be :-| ). Implementers are faced with extensive
research and, when that's done, left with many unknowns. There's no
reference implementation for guidance and no reasonable testing procedure.

Windows side-steps the problem by simply waiting for, and relying on,
synchronization to NTP severs at the cost of being wrong until the
reset. Unix/Linux attempts to maintain the time in the kernel making it
vulnerable to failure, especially if its based on the flawed POSIX
specs, not to mention difficulties with tz database. Meantime there is
no standardized automated way to obtain the required metadata.

Its not a matter of UTC with Leap Seconds being complicated - the theory
and basic implementation by the BIPM and IERS is sound and a remarkable
achievement of civilization. The problems lie in digital implementation
and deployment - society's current challenge generally, not only in
timekeeping. We should not abandon 3000 years of timekeeping technology
because some systems cause inconvenience and we are too lazy to refine
flawed standards.

-Brooks