[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Wed Jan 8 15:11:39 EST 2014

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the information.

First let me say I'm a very strong advocate of retaining Leap Seconds in
UTC. When I first heard the idea that they be eliminated I was dismayed.
Rather than abandon Leap Seconds, why not use the energy and resources
to improve the standards and more fully inform the community how to use
them. I'm very much in Rob Seaman's camp, I think, as he explained
earlier - A Proposal to Upgrade UTC (rather than to degrade it)
http://iraf.noao.edu/~seaman/leap/ <http://iraf.noao.edu/%7Eseaman/leap/>.

My guess is that UTC Leap Seconds will ultimately be retained because
there is far too much disruption by a change like that. At the same
time, improvements to UTC, dissemination of the information, and
education are needed. If it worked better there won't be this pressure
to abandon it.

I think there are several missing pieces to the puzzle. Perhaps first
amongst them is a standards or engineering guidance document that
clearly explains the terms and relationships related to time, calendar,
and UTC.

The technical descriptions of, and responsibilities to, UTC are spread
amongst several standards bodies ( BIPM, IERS, ITU ). This creates
something of a maze to understanding UTC. Contributing to the challenge
is the many unofficial explanations of UTC, each from different points
of view, with their own terminology, and not all are credible. And UTC
is only part of the general problem of implementation, since we soon
encounter "time zones" and "daylight", and a host of related
technologies like Unix-time/POSIX, NTP, PTP, etc.

One historic fact I see contributing to the difficulty is the
unfortunate divergence between the developing time-keeping technologies
behind the emergence of UTC (atomic time, astronomical observation), and
the computer time-keeping technologies.

This divergence is understandable, since UTC was developing at the same
time as computers and the computer industry had their own practical
requirements. The subsequent standards efforts (especially the
c-language and POSIX specs) naturally and necessarily continued to
support the behavior of the installed base, inhibiting the development
of more accurate specifications. Meantime, continued refinement and
political developments around UTC were ongoing. Through all this there
has been is a lack of clarity in the standards resulting in much
misunderstanding and in-interoperable systems.

Everyone knows there are problems and everyone wants to solve them. I
think today we stand near some solutions. Some parts are very much
improved, like IANA's consolidation and management of tz database and
the ICU project. Timezone Service Protocol draft
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-douglass-timezone-service-08) looks
hopeful in providing standard means of obtaining time-related metadata.

Unfortunately there are many uncoordinated efforts underway to solve
particular problems, like Google's "smear" strategy. Sure, they need
that in the present environment, but it does a disservice to the
development of *accurate* time-keeping. Meantime the many OS venders
(Apple, Microsoft, the many flavors of Unix and Linux, mainframe OSs,
mobile OSs), DBMS systems and languages all take their own paths. I
believe this is not so much a consequence of proprietary competition or
other evil intent but the practical consequence of building systems in
the absence of clear definitions of the fundamentals from some central
authority.

We'd like to see convergence on a universally agreed upon design, but
for this to occur there needs to be more consolidation and refinement of
the relevant specifications. My experience is no doubt similar to
everyone else's - wading through the standards is a career and, in the
end, whole parts of the puzzle are just nonexistent. Great.

OK, well then, can we do something about that? We can't just complain
about it. Might it be possible to mount an effort to write and
standardize a consolidated specification and/or guideline which could
serve the entire field better, helping lead to a more unified
time-keeping industry? Maybe.

Who, or what standards body, would have the (international) authority to
be taken seriously? I'm not sure about that, but since the whole
time-keeping mess was started out by astronomers I figure this list is a
good place to ask :-)

What I'm thinking about is illustrated by ISO 8601. Famous for defining
representations of date and time, 8601 also defines important
fundamentals - terms, "time units" and the Gregorian calendar. This is
*huge*, it seems to me, arguably more important than its
"representation" aspects. The history of the Gregorian calendar takes
you back to Julius Caesar, Pope Gregory, the Reform, and the common era.
Facinating, but all I want to do is *implement it*. And with 8601 I can
stop right there - its has an air-tight modern definition of the
Gregorian calendar. Done.

Without 8601 the many implementations of POSIX time algorithms (gmtime()
in particular) would likely not produce the same results. In fact, as we
know, some lesser implementations *do not* produce the same results - a
dangerous fact. The gmtime() calculation is deceptively tricky, a topic
that has produced an awful lot of discussion and misunderstanding
amongst some colleagues I'm interacting with.

Next you need to deal with Leap Seconds, and you find yourself in the
BIPM-IERS-ITU maze (yes it makes sense, but its not very clear how
without a lot of study). Then comes "local time", or "civil time", and
the standards trail goes cold. I find myself studying the "International
Meridian Conference" (not its proper name) of 1884 in search of the
standards provenance of "offset from UTC". But answers on this forum
confirms my fear - it just doesn't exist.

So I ask your opinion(s) - Do you think there's a need for a document
like I've described? What standards body do you think would be receptive
to the idea? Or is it a fool's errand?

-Brooks