[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Jan 9 00:34:31 EST 2014

On Wed 2014-01-08T12:11:39 -0800, Brooks Harris hath writ:

> Who, or what standards body, would have the (international)

> authority to be taken seriously? I'm not sure about that, but since

> the whole time-keeping mess was started out by astronomers I figure

> this list is a good place to ask :-)

The existence of the "double leap second" in POSIX, ANSI C, and ANSI
SQL indicates that those committees had not even read the content
of ITU-R TF.460. In a situation like that authority is irrelevant.

The past decade of non-consensual non-decision discussion documents
from various bodies who have considered leap seconds and the failed
draft revisions for TF.460 leave me unconvinced that that there is
anyone with enough zeal to become such an authority.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855