[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Jan 9 04:56:03 EST 2014

On 2014-01-08 09:34 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

> On Wed 2014-01-08T12:11:39 -0800, Brooks Harris hath writ:

>> Who, or what standards body, would have the (international)

>> authority to be taken seriously? I'm not sure about that, but since

>> the whole time-keeping mess was started out by astronomers I figure

>> this list is a good place to ask :-)

> The existence of the "double leap second" in POSIX, ANSI C, and ANSI

> SQL indicates that those committees had not even read the content

> of ITU-R TF.460. In a situation like that authority is irrelevant.

As I understand it there have been several well informed submissions to
support UTC and Leap Seconds to those bodies, but the refinements were
ultimately rejected. Those committees serve their own membership, and
like all standards bodies, often opt for the most conservative options
to support the current installed base. Of course there are also
entrenched interests who choose the path of least resistance. C and
POSIX are so fundamental to computer behavior everyone is reluctant to
touch it. Unfortunate, but understandable. The time might yet come where
the obvious improvements are adopted.

> The past decade of non-consensual non-decision discussion documents

> from various bodies who have considered leap seconds and the failed

> draft revisions for TF.460 leave me unconvinced that that there is

> anyone with enough zeal to become such an authority.

Yes, well, I'm on this list because I think losing Leap Seconds is
stupid. I hope they can be dissuaded.

In 2011 you posted to the list a link to the 2011 ITU-R CACE issued
Circular 539

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2011-June/003058.html

Whats the current status of that? Still on hold?

I see the American Astronomical Society published Requirements for UTC
and Civil Timekeeping on Earth Colloquium and this may have been
presented to ITU, is that right? Does AAS have an official position on
the topic?

>> leave me unconvinced that that there is anyone with enough zeal to
become such an authority

What about AAS?

-Brooks