[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Jan 10 01:28:14 EST 2014

On Thu 2014-01-09T01:56:03 -0800, Brooks Harris hath writ:

> In 2011 you posted to the list a link to the 2011 ITU-R CACE issued

> Circular 539

> http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2011-June/003058.html

> Whats the current status of that? Still on hold?

That was one of the rare ITU-R documents which is released in advance
of a decision. The usual ITU-R process is so closed that I can't say
I understand it, so anything I know is incomplete.

In this case the issue of the open CACE seems to have been cued by the
unusual fact that the ITU-R bureacrats could see that the delegates
from the nations at the 2012 Radiocommunication Assembly were going to
be asked to vote on a draft proposed revision that had not achieved
consensus at the Working Party or Study Group levels. The subsequent
press reports about the RA finding itself split 3 ways (much like
several other committees of experts had been previously) and then
declining to vote seem to indicate that any hope for resolution
embodied in issuing that CACE did not come to fruition.

Follwing the RA was the WRC, and they produced Resolution 653
[COM6/20] (WRC-12) which has become WRC-15 Agenda Item 1.14. The
wording of Resolution 653 seems extremely strong, basically lighting a
fire under SG7 and WP7A and telling them to engage with other
organizations and do whatever is necessary to give better options to
the delegates who come to the 2015 RA. The next layer after the WRC
who turned 653 into Agenda Item 1.14 toned down the intensity a little.

Google hasn't shown me anything released since then, so whatever
negotiations are going on are staying out of sight.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855