[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sat Jan 11 13:59:28 EST 2014

On 2014-01-09 10:28 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

> On Thu 2014-01-09T01:56:03 -0800, Brooks Harris hath writ:

>> In 2011 you posted to the list a link to the 2011 ITU-R CACE issued

>> Circular 539

>> http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2011-June/003058.html

>> Whats the current status of that? Still on hold?

> That was one of the rare ITU-R documents which is released in advance

> of a decision. The usual ITU-R process is so closed that I can't say

> I understand it, so anything I know is incomplete.

That's disconcerting.

I note two relevant entries in the BIPM Annual Report on Time Activities
Volume 7 2012 -

6. Rapid UTC (F. Arias, A. Harmegnies, G. Panfilo, G. Petit, L.
Tisserand) describes an effort to improve UTC, so maybe there's work
going on to help inform the debate further.

7. New proposed definition of UTC (F. Arias, W. Lewandowski) states the
''It was decided to postpone the decision until the World
Radiocommunication Conference 2015" . There, at least, are two names
officially related to the debate.

Are those relevant? Is there communication with any of these people?

-Brooks