[LEAPSECS] QB213 .R4 2013

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 17 07:48:50 EST 2014

On Jan 17, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> Note that DST exists because people prefer to set their clocks to sunrise than to midday, but sunrise is too inconvenient so we use a quantized approximation.

DST exists for a complex set of sociological and political reasons. Whatever these are, politicians are not noted for paying attention to the preferences of the people, but rather to WWI/WWII factory managers, etc. Should likely not minimize the impact of Ben Franklin's offhand humor, either:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html

One might also note that DST is observed by only a small minority of the world's population.

Rob