[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Michael Deckers michael.deckers at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 16:46:54 EST 2014

    On 2014-11-06 13:10, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote

    in defense of the description by the German metrology
    laboratory in [https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/fachabteilungen
    /abt4/fb-44/ag-441/coordinated-universal-time-utc.html]:

> Hm, indeed a sloppy translation of the original German text
>
>    Die Einführung der Zeitskala UTC geht auf Vorschläge des CCIR
>    (Comité Consultatif International des Radiocommunications)
>    zurück
>
> which is more like "Introduction of the time scale UTC originates
> in suggestions made by..".

   But the German text is equally wrong.

   The CCIR was tasked to find a common time scale for
   radio dissemination, but they did not "suggest" the
   underlying concepts of UTC. The concepts were developed
   about 1960 within the RGO, NPL, USNO and the BIH, at a
   time when time determination meant the reduction of
   UT0 to UT1, and a common reference time scale with
   rate close to UT2 was an enormous help.

> But of course passion can't be replaced by anything else.
> Maybe money?

   I do not see which point you want to make here.

   Michael Deckers.