[LEAPSECS] Changing the name of UTC

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Oct 17 09:44:54 EDT 2014

On Fri 2014-10-17T07:33:07 -0600, Warner Losh hath writ:
> I'm afraid that if there are two official time scales, both maintained,
> and both propagated due to contract language, then the :new" one
> without leap seconds would be this oddball thing that nobody actually
> implements or that some people implement and others don't and we'd
> be left with a mess. Perhaps not the same mess we have today, but
> a new, different mess.

I prefer to believe that clear explanation of the intentions behind
the time scales will result in engineers making choices that conform
with the new recommendations, and I would rather see the ITU-R take
that course than follow one based on fear and ignorance.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855