[LEAPSECS] The definition of a day

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Sun Feb 1 14:29:56 EST 2015

Culture is shared and learned knowledge.  Consequently, everything this list discusses is cultural--it reflects our sharing and learning of knowledge.

Culture should never be used to justify anything.  There is a gulf between the anthropological view that all human behavior must be understood in its cultural context and the view that because something is cultural it is excusable.  The latter view is untenable.  When my friend and colleague Alex Hinton studies genocide and the cultural factors that contribute to it, he does so to understand how genocide happens, not to justify genocide.

The leap second as part of a complicated system of learning and knowledge associated with time reckoning has cultural consequences, and the decision-making process over whether to keep it or not will involve cultural reactions.  Some of these will seem like technical arguments; others will seem less technical, e.g., anything the US is for some nations will be against.  Lastly, the ITU has its own culture and the delegates at the next WRC will manifest all sorts of cultural dynamics that will influence the vote but might not reflect any sound or cogent technical arguments.

It is an important question as to whether the existence of the leap second or the elimination of the leap second policy will have affect particular cultural behaviors associated with time and timing.  Most of the discussion about the leap second has been with regard to technical issues and the effects the policy has on specific systems.  There has been far less discussion, much less empirical investigation, about the cultural impact.  The cultural effects are far more difficult to ascertain because the cultural impact of the leap second is mediated by western timekeeping which overlays many, many other time reckoning systems and cultural timescales in the world.  As I've pointed out before, most Muslims determine their prayer times by using a software application that is designed by those who know the traditional methods of time reckoning and translate these into clock times tied to specific latitudes and longitudes.  It is a big world with many cultures and it is difficult to tell what the cultural impact of eliminating the leap second will be.  For that matter, we still have an incomplete understanding of the cultural impact of mean time (and consequently, UTC).

Cheers,

Kevin