[LEAPSECS] The definition of a day

Steffen Nurpmeso sdaoden at yandex.com
Thu Feb 5 13:51:38 EST 2015

Kevin Birth <Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu> wrote:
 |the policy has on specific systems.  There has been far less \
 |discussion, much less empirical investigation, about the cultural \
 |impact.  The cultural effects are far more difficult to ascertain \

From my side: this is my impression.

 |because the cultural impact of the leap second is mediated \
 |by western timekeeping which overlays many, many other time \
 |reckoning systems and cultural timescales in the world.  As \

In the trail of many other things timekeeping too.

 |I've pointed out before, most Muslims determine their prayer \
 |times by using a software application that is designed by \
 |those who know the traditional methods of time reckoning and \
 |translate these into clock times tied to specific latitudes \
 |and longitudes.  It is a big world with many cultures and \

I'm no longer that integrated, but from earlier years i know no
Muslim that uses software for that, not even watches.  My
impression was that of inner clocks, or gut feelings shall that be
liked better.  I like that, even earlier it was a completely new
experience for me as a success-oriented german that other young
boys *stop* from whatever we / they are doing and instead turn to
something (apparantly) completely immaterial.  I've read «Eric»
from Doris Lund already but that describes a deadly disease, and
the way after it was detected.

 |it is difficult to tell what the cultural impact of eliminating \
 |the leap second will be.  For that matter, we still have an \
 |incomplete understanding of the cultural impact of mean time \
 |(and consequently, UTC).

Well, and maybe values are lost before they are even discovered.
This seems to be a quite common idiosyncrasy these days.
I wonder wether i could have emerging feelings for TAI...  But no,
i don't think so.

--steffen