[LEAPSECS] final report of the UK leap seconds dialog

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 5 09:40:58 EST 2015

--------
In message <D0F8E82E.12357%kevin.birth at qc.cuny.edu>, Kevin Birth writes:

>That said, this is a problem with the policy of implementing the leap
>second at the prime meridian at midnight UTC, not a problem with the leap
>second itself.

That's a theoretically correct observation, but given that the
planet is round and mostly populated I have a hard time seeing any
other longitude offering significant relief from this problem.

If one takes a strictly democratic view on this, China gets to veto
quite a wide slab of longitudes, given that they have the timezone
with most people in it.